Results of my scans last Friday:
Some evidence of abnormality in the scar tissue at the tumour site. The examining doctor has worked through the protocol and eliminated benign calcification. He suspects DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) and recommends another biopsy, with the warning that it will be ‘much more painful’ because local anaesthetic doesn’t work well on scar tissue.
I’ve decided to talk to my surgeon to see if I can have the biopsy done at the Mater Imaging service in Sydney rather than here on the Central Coast. I was unimpressed with the pathology on my original biopsies (and so were my doctors) and I’ve had nothing but good experiences with the Sydney team. Also, the doctor there has been seeing me since the beginning so she’ll know what she’s looking for. I couldn’t talk to my surgeon on Friday so I’ve had to leave a message and wait all weekend. Note to self; don’t organise tests on a Friday!
I’m also off to my GP today. I’ve asked that they send him a copy of the results so I’ll find out about the bone scan and what the various reports say. Do I also have arthritis in my SI joint? Certainly there’s something going on and Friday’s tests seem to have aggravated everything. I’m in considerable pain.
I’ve had a few entirely appropriate tears and I’m reminding myself that it looks like I don’t have metastatic cancer, which is a very good result. The potential for DCIS is not the end of the world, but how I wanted to hear that there was no sign of cancer! Back I go into limbo land while I wait for appointments and more tests and results.